March 18, 2012

Harper Goodwrench - edited thanks to Kerrcarto

Do they still have auto repair night school or something?  I need to look into it.  It seems like the men in my life that were really handy in the combustion engine department, left this earth before I was old enough to pay better attention and learn something from them.

I had a couple of boyfriends that fancied themselves mechanically inclined, but they really weren't.

My dad and my granddad could fix anything engine related.  Tractors, cars, boats, motorcycles.  I would love to have that ability.  I think I am capable - I just need the initial knowledge.  Of course, they don't make things like they used to, either.

If I could fix the average car engine, I would buy myself a great old car.  Maybe a hot rod, like a GTO or a Chevelle.  Or a great old 40's sedan with suicide doors.  We had a neighbor that used to keep an old car like that in our garage.  It was forest green, had wide running boards and a trunk that my whole family could fit in.  It looked like a mob car.

My cousin has a Model T that has been in our family since it was nearly new - I don't want that kind of headache, even though it is fun to ride around in.  The crank start and ah-ooh-ga horn always make people smile. 

My ex is a car guy, but not a traditionalist. He puts new parts in old shells.  (I would want everything to be original).  When he was in Korea, I had to start and drive his 1942 Ford truck a couple of times a month.  It had a three on the tree transmission, with a miniature eight ball on the end of the column shifter.  That was fun to drive, though I was never quite sure if I was shifting correctly.

He also had a cherry 1970 Olds when we first met.  One of those great finds that some old man had bought and then kept in a garage for 20 years.  He was going to a school at Fort Rucker and some lady hit the car beside it so hard that it not only hit his car, but knocked it into the car on the other side.  It was totaled.

My mom's first car was a 1957 Chevy.  She ended up trading her brother for a '55.  Why, oh why, couldn't she have parked either one of those and saved them for a rainy day in 2012?   

I know that any old car is going to need tinkered with, so I have come full circle here.  Time to Google auto repair classes.

2 comments:

kerrcarto said...

It had a three on the tree transmission, with a column shifter Obviously. Hence the term "three on the tree" ;~)

Harper said...

I am not completely stupid, though it sometimes seems so.

I wrote the post meaning to go back and fill in what sort of knob was on the end of the shifter. I thought I had a picture of it and then got sidetracked looking at old car pictures and never fixed it before it posted.