February 15, 2012

Food Fight

CenTexTim posted about this last night, so I am a little late to the game.

I am nearing the end of my thirteenth year as a parent of school aged children.  I have known the great and the horrible, the people that had no business being in education (and its administration) and I have known people so gifted at what they do that their touch is still evident upon my child.

There are school policies that are ridiculous, overreaching, nonsensical.  Not all of those battles are worth fighting.  My children's school has some restrictions on the content of lunches.  They can't trade, they can't have carbonated beverages, they can't have deep fried fast food items.  None of those rules are strictly enforced and many are never enforced.  Most are for the little kids because teachers don't want to deal with caffeine and sugar highs.  By 8th or 9th grade, the teachers don't care what they eat or drink, as long as they can stay awake in class.

So help me God, if any person ever inspected my child's lunch from home and passed judgement on it, as they did in this case, I would come unhinged. It wouldn't be about whether or not to fight the battle, it would be a full on war, and my kids would only be in the situation once, I guarandamntee it.
A mother in Hoke County complains her daughter was forced to eat a school lunch because a government inspector determined her home-made lunch did not meet nutrition requirements. In fact, all of the students in the NC Pre-K program classroom at West Hoke Elementary School in Raeford had to accept a school lunch in addition to their lunches brought from home.   
And what horrifically deficient meal did she send her kid to school with?
a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips
Gasp!  Her crime, in the inspector's eyes?  No vegetable.  What are potato chips made from? 

In the accompanying story, Mom explains that her daughter, like many 4-year olds, doesn't like vegetables.  They pull a con job or threaten early bedtimes to get her to eat them at home.  Mom points out that without a parent standing over her, she won't eat vegetables, so she doesn't put them in her lunch to have them be thrown away.  

Mom also explains that the teachers routinely make her child add a milk to her lunch from home, because her lunch lacks a dairy item.  Um, what is it that cheese is made from?

Actually, forget my freaking questions about potatoes and cheese.  IT IS NONE OF THE GOVERNMENT'S GODDAMN BUSINESS WHAT IS IN MY KID'S LUNCH.

While I am at it, IT IS NONE OF THE GOVERNMENT'S GODDAMN BUSINESS...
what my kids eat
how their food is prepared
what my kids weigh
what language they speak at home 
how many hours of TV they watch
how they score on a test
what kind of light bulbs are in their desk lamp
if they have insurance

Stay the hell out of my family's business.

3 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Great minds part III.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people just sit back and accept all this government intrusion without doing anything. I guess it's the Boiling Frog principle...

kerrcarto said...

Progressivism

How do you eat an Elephant?

One steak at a time.

Fuck the food Nazi's Luckily non of that shit happens here. Hell, I take McDonald's to them sometimes.

InsomniacSeeker said...

Hell, kids today are lucky to be able to take their lunches to school. When I was in school, we ate what they gave us at school. We weren't allowed to bring lunches. Some of that shit they served us was nasty, and it was the same shit every day of the week, every week of the school year. With an exception of holidays, then they would switch it up with something equally nasty. As soon as I was in junior high, it was across the street for Mtn. Dew & bag of chips...except on Monday tacos and Friday Hamburger.