January 13, 2012

Leader of the formerly free world

Free: Not under the control or in the power of another, able to act or be done as one wishes.  Without cost or payment.
Driving the kids to school this morning, the radio DJs played Blowie singing Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way' .  Sometime during the resultant conversation, one of them referred to Blowie as 'the leader of the free world'.  There are a dozen arguments to be made about the appropriateness of assuming that the American president is the leader of 'world' anything, but the word that got my attention was 'free'.

What is free in America?  Is there anything that escapes the long arm of government?  I started to take inventory of my surroundings. 

I was dropping my kids off at school.  Kids that are at school because the government says they must be educated.  The school is funded with my tax dollars.  Not only must they be educated, but they have to meet standards set by the government and take government mandated tests.  My tax dollars pay for the mandatory education of others.

I was driving in my car.  A car manufactured to meet government standards for safety, fuel economy and emissions.  A car that bears a government mandated, fee based-license plate, registration sticker and mandatory annual inspection sticker.  A car running on fuel that is sourced by extensive government regulation-ruled petroleum drilling, refining, transport and dispensing laws.  Subsidized and taxed to the nth degree.  I traveled with my government mandated seat belt on, traveling at government mandated speeds on tax funded roads.

Clothing subject to government regulation and/or import laws.

Cup of coffee containing government inspected, imported coffee beans and American dairy regulation (and subsidy) burdened milk.

Radio broadcast subject to federal regulation and traveling across government licensed radio waves.

Arrived home - house built to local, state and federal standards using materials approved through similar channels.  Permitted, certified to occupy and taxed by the same.

Greeted by dogs that are duly licensed, vaccinated and fed FDA inspected and approved dog food.

Sat down to computer to check Facebook and blog knowing that key phrases are monitored by Homeland Security.

Where is the freedom? I challenge you to find ONE freedom guaranteed by our Bill of Rights that hasn't been curtailed, restricted, degraded or belittled by our government.

There is no free world. 

3 comments:

Paul said...

Beer farts?

CenTexTim said...

Amendment #3 in the Bill of Rights:

"No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

I think we're okay on this one. The others, not so much...

Harper said...

I beg to differ with #3. My ex-husband/army officer sometimes occupies space in my home, against my wishes.