December 30, 2011

The kind of tree I can wrap my arms around

Yesterday we ended up behind a Tesla Roadster coming through our little town.  This particular one was kinda dirty and by the time I realized what it was, the light was changing and I needed to be driving and not taking a picture, so this is what I ended up with (cropped and enlarged to the point of distortion):

This is what they look like up close and all cleaned up:


I don't hug many trees and I have an impressive stash of incandescent light bulbs.  I drive a monster SUV, but I could handle an electric car if it looked, and performed, like this one.  Too bad I don't have $110k sitting around to drop on one (and four fewer family members to tote around). 

(Whenever Crash sees a cool car and asks if we can get it, we talk about how many seats it has.  I try to turn it into a fun math/object lesson.  One of his favorites is a yellow and black Camaro, a la Transformers.  I told him that there were only four seatbelts and asked which kid would have to walk to school.  He never hesitated and blurted out, 'Boom.'  Evil little turd)

When we left the intersection, the Tesla left us in its dust.  Boom looked up the specs on her phone, while I was telling her what little I knew about the car.  0 to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.  288 horsepower.  And ninja freakin' quiet about it.  As Boom read off the impressive performance info, she snidely commented, 'Suck on that Prius.'  That's my girl.

2 comments:

InsomniacSeeker said...

I have a friend who has the new Camaro, her grandson calls it the batmobile. She gets pulled over all the time by cops, we suspect it's so they can look at the car more than a passing glance.

CenTexTim said...

"Too bad I don't have $110k sitting around to drop on one"

The subsidy that goes into each Chevy Volt is somewhere north of $200k. I'd settle for half of that to subsidize my purchase of a Tesla.