November 15, 2011

Stupid Parent Tricks v482

Saw the doc yesterday, expecting to hear that the MRI showed some torn cartilage or something.  My money was on lateral meniscus and arthroscopy.  Neither of those came out of his mouth.

Femur fracture. Can you believe it?

Apparently, the measly amounts of meniscus that I have left from two prior surgeries weren't enough to cushion the bone when I had my little soccer run in, and the bottom outside of the femur, the lateral condyle, cracked.

In a perfect world, I would have sought immediate medical attention, gotten the knee stabilized and been on crutches for 4-6 weeks and would have been fully recovered by now.  In reality, I went home, had limited mobility and extreme pain for a week or two which organically limited my movement.  Then as the knee got moderately better, I motored on with life and kept playing soccer, because I have some pride and didn't want to wimp out.

Now I have a stable, yet fragile fracture that I must baby by doing nothing with more impact than walking.  I get to go to torture physical therapy twice a week and have been told to expect a full recovery in 2-4 months.  Shit.  I almost wanted to ask if we could re-break it and get back on the 4-6 week plan.

I do feel slightly Bad Ass, knowing that I sucked it up and got on with life while I had a broken frickin' femur.  There is some full throttle family guilt-induced benefit coming to me.  I played 9 soccer games with a broken leg.  I carried my 4-year old and my 8-year old at some point every week since I broke it.  (They particularly like the 'carry me like I'm a sack of potatoes' thing on the way to bed).  I kicked some Kinect-game butt when we got an XBOX two weeks ago.  Paid for it the next day, but, hey - I had a broken leg!!!

Worse part is the psychological impact.  My knee has hurt like an SOB since I got the news.  I am trying hard to separate real physical pain from the mentally-affected pain that my brain says I must be in.  Perhaps I should retire to the couch with some bon-bons and reflect upon it for a while.

Did I mention that I got this diagnosis just as Mr Harper starts a 10 day vacation and is available to wait upon me hand and foot knee?

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

Go here and buy it to summon Mr. H whenever you need another Shiner (for pain management purposes, of course...).