November 22, 2011

I'll drink to that


We were watching the news, hearing the daily OWS story, when Boom asked me what I would do to end the sense of entitlement that permeates the protestors.  My answer was: conscription.

In hindsight, I can't stand by that answer.  I think the military is a great way to teach skills, instill patriotism, educate.  On the other hand, I know and love a great many people that serve, or have honorably served, our country and I would never want to surround them with the sort of idiocy on display amongst the OWS set.  I hereby withdraw my mandatory military proposal.

Forcing them to provide for themselves is the answer, one way or another.  At this point, I think of the OWS folks like a fussy toddler that needs to be left to cry it out.  I've experienced my share of tantrums.  Bang earned that nickname by being a toddler headbanger when angered.  He had a constant Berber-patterned bruise on his forehead during his third year, from banging his head on the living room rug when he didn't get his way.  Those throwing tantrums want their way, no matter how pointless, and they want attention.  Ignore them and their demands and go on about your business.  Eventually they will tire and go home, and the adults will 'win'.

No comments: