November 6, 2011

I feel the earth move...

So, CD will probably think this is much ado about nothing, but we just don't have earthquakes in Texas very often. This is the first one I have ever felt (that I can remember).

I was sitting on the couch reading just before 11 pm and the first thing I noticed was a popping noise. One of the dogs was outside, and my first thought was, 'What the hell is that dog doing that is making that noise along the wall?'

About that time, the couch started to shake. Woody, our older Lab, likes to walk along the couch, scratching his side, and often hits it with a little force - so, I had a fleeting thought that he was walking along the back of the couch. This thought was instantly cast aside as I was looking right at him, sound asleep on the floor.

At that point, the popping sound was all around, it sounded like a small herd of small animals running across the porch and tapping at the windows. I glanced up and the ceiling fans were swaying, which finally got my brain to click into what was really happening, right as it stopped.

Boom was the only other person in the house that was awake, so I walked toward her room. Right as I got to her door, she called out that someone was knocking at her window and her blinds were shaking. She had a typical teenage reaction, thinking someone was trying to scare her at her window.

Boom's computer was still on, so we clicked around to news sites and Facebook, and quickly got validation that it was an earthquake and we weren't the only ones that felt it.

Apparently, there was another quake around 3:30 am, but I slept through that one.

My take away lesson is that I had a completely inappropriate response. Boom and I thought it was cool. When I called Mr Harper, who was out surprising some of his employees on the late night shift, he asked if I was scared. It never occurred to me to grab my kids and get outside or take any other evasive action. I thought it was exciting. Whoops.

2 comments:

Paul said...

"It never occurred to me to grab my kids and get outside or take any other evasive action."

This will probably never happen again in your neck of the woods during your lifetime. But, should you find yourself in another shaky situation do not go outside. Crawl under a table or stand in a doorway.

InsomniacSeeker said...

I'm just trying to figure out what the heck I'm going to do if there's a tornado warning and an earthquake at the same time ... I'm screwed..