October 23, 2011

If Baby Lisa were mine...

Pardon the delay, some storms last night knocked our power out for several hours.

So, this Baby Lisa case has been on my mind. I am originally from the KC area, so big news stories from the area catch my attention to begin with, and this is about a missing baby, so it is even more compelling a story.

What has struck me as wrong, is that I have seen the mom of Baby Lisa on nearly every channel, talking to every sort of reporter, journalist, talk show host.  Megyn Kelly from Fox News spent nearly two hours interviewing the parents last weekend.  Time after time, there sits Deborah Bradley, fresh faced, bright eyed, hair neatly pulled back, sitting in the living room of what has been described as a 'safe house' or in a Hampton Inn lobby.

Deborah's story has changed quite a bit over these last nineteen days.  The timeline has changed, she now says she takes daily anxiety medication and that she drank enough to black out on the night the baby 'disappeared'.  Deb and husband, Jeremy Irwin, have now hired the same criminal defense attorney that represented Joran Van der Sloot.  Deb now qualifies many of her previous statements by saying 'that is what I was told'.

Let's recap in reverse order.  I get hiring an attorney.  Innocent, guilty or otherwise, in today's murky waters of the judicial system, law enforcement and the media, an attorney is a good thing.  I, personally, couldn't get past the moral dilemma involved in hiring Van der Sloot's, lawyer, but that is just me.

Deb was at home and responsible for the care of her two sons while she was boozing it up to the point of blackout.  Trying hard to think of how many prescription anxiety medications don't have a warning against combining with alcohol.

She can't get her story straight. 

For the first week or so, the family had only released one mediocre photograph of that sweet baby girl. 

There hasn't been a show of support in the form of family and friends surrounding the couple.

I haven't seen any flyers, signs, websites, T-shirts or any of the other items that people who lose so much as a dog manage to produce.

But what really makes this case for me is this:  If my child were missing, you couldn't hold me in a room, in front of a camera, in a 'safe' house.  If my child were truly missing, I would be combing the neighborhood, knocking on doors, looking in cars, tramping through the woods.  Mothers don't just sit back content that the world will find their children for them.  That woman is guilty of something having to do with the disappearance of her child.  Mark my words.

1 comment:

CenTexTim said...

I hate to admit it, but I've become jaded over 'Baby _______ is missing' stories. It seems like there are so many, and they very rarely have happy endings.

That doesn't mean that I don't feel sorry for the kids or their (innocent) parents and relatives. I can't imagine the pain of losing a child, or the agony of not knowing. But I just have a hard time becoming emotionally invested in stories like this where the likelihood is a tragic outcome.

What a world we live in...