October 28, 2011

Baseball hangover

Gawd, I am worn out.  Stayed up to watch the Rangers win the World Series, and instead ended up being pissed off, disappointed and unable to sleep for most of the night.  When I could sleep, the dogs were restless.  And the coyotes seem to be enjoying the cooler weather, yipping all night long.

I hate to be the one that says it out loud, so I won't actually say it.  What I will say is that I think several of the Rangers left it all on the field last night.

*****

So I haven't had much time to process news stories and form a coherent opinion.  The one story that has caught my eye, turned my stomach and created a moral dilemma is the one about Girl Scouts in Colorado accepting a 7-year old boy into a troop.
We make the distinction that if a child is living life as a girl and the family brings the child to us and says my daughter wants to be a Girl Scout, we welcome her,” Rachelle Trujillo, vice president of communications with Girl Scouts of Colorado told CNSNews.com.
I believe in American ideals.  Free to be you and me and all that, as long as it doesn't encroach upon another person's rights.  I think that, in many cases, the age of majority is an arbitrary number set only because our justice system needs a dividing line.  We have seen over the past several decades that some children are capable of very adult acts, both good and bad.  Still, children are to be raised by their parents, not put on a pedestal with a hands off approach so that they can 'discover themselves' or some such bullshit.

Anyone letting their 7-year old boy live as a girl should be in psychiatric care.  7-year old children do not have physical or mental maturity, not to mention lack of hormonal development, to indicate any sort of gender preference.  I'm not saying you have to make the girls wear pink and play with dolls while the boys play in the dirt and flex their muscles, but, Good Lord, let them be kids and grow enough to really form their own thoughts and opinions.

I was a Girl Scout until 4th or 5th grade, went camping, learned to make a Sit Upon and some basic First Aid.  My oldest daughter is in her 12th year of Scouting, though the last several years have been more about maintaining membership.  When Boom started out in GS, the national organization was routinely rearing its liberal head, making it all about 'girl power' and such.  It didn't matter because our troop and leadership was morally grounded in the original principals of the founder.  While I don't necessarily expect every troop to take a public position on accepting gender-confused youth, I am faced with the knowledge that the national organization has taken a public position.  The Princess has been happily making crafts, going on Scout field trips and is gearing up for her first cookie sale.  She's having fun and oblivious to the political statement that is represented by that trefoil pin.

What should I do?  Leave her be and hope that she tires of it in a year or two?  Demand a position statement from local leadership?  Hold my nose when I buy cookies, knowing that most of the money goes to support an organization that has abandoned its moral base?  Or should I yank her out of Scouting now?

1 comment:

Paul said...

My son and I turned off the game after the Rangers couldn't close it out in the 10th. Both of our brains were hemorrhaging and we couldn't sit still. I ordered the family to bed and turned off the TV. Couldn't handle it. Will try again tonight. Go Rangers!!