September 1, 2011

We the People

A couple of months ago, I submitted my email trying to win the opportunity to dine with Blowie, hizownself.  I am surprised that it took over two months before I got the first email from the White House, but that could be because I didn't hit the 'donate' button along with my entry.

This morning's email is from David Plouffe, proclaiming the impending launch of an online petition-making tool called We the People.  David asked that I email ten friends to tell them all about it, but I figure a blog post and my two cents works just as well.
President Obama believes that government should be open and accountable to its citizens, and that's the goal of We the People. This online platform gives Americans a direct line to the White House on the issues and concerns that matter most to them.
Soon, anyone will be able to create or sign a petition at WhiteHouse.gov seeking action from the federal government on a range of issues. If a petition gathers enough signatures, the White House staff will review it, make sure it gets to Obama Administration policy experts, and issue an official response. President Obama will even answer a few himself.
If a petition gets 'enough' signatures, the White House will review it and take action!  There is a 5,000 person 'signature threshold' that must be met for an issue to be 'reviewed by administration' and illicit an official response.  5 grand is really all it takes for an official response and the promise for a petition's issue to be forwarded to the appropriate policy makers?

Are these people idiots?

The site hasn't even launched yet but I foresee massive cyber attacks.  I could get 5,000 'Blowie should immediately resign his post' petition signatures in an hour or less.  Then what?  Do I get an official response?  Do they forward that to policy makers as promised?  Or do they ignore the 'issues' that they don't like, regardless of how many millions of Americans will sign the petition?

I sure hope the GOP, Tea Party and every other political organization grabs hold of this and exploits it for the PR disaster it is destined to become.

Is there anyone with a brain working in the West Wing? 

2 comments:

InsomniacSeeker said...

Idiots! Every last one of them.

CenTexTim said...

"Is there anyone with a brain working in the West Wing?"

These are the same people who can't even schedule a presidential speech without messing it up.