September 11, 2011

Not the way to honor the dead.

In reading articles about the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I was taken aback to learn that nearly 2,000 victim's families never received any remains.

And then I was horrified to learn that 6,000 unidentified human remains from the WTC site are planned to be put in the basement of the 9/11 Memorial Museum

Had I been in NYC today, I would have been with those protesting families that are now suing to get the contact information for all victim's families, so they can let them know what is planned for the unidentified remains. 

I can't stand the imagery of it - of people that were killed on impact, high in the tower, or fell or jumped dozens of stories to their deaths, being put 7 stories below ground level, in a basement.  I agree with the families that they should not have to pay an entry fee and wait for business hours to pay homage to their loved ones.

These families should have a say.  I don't know what that looks like in the end, but hopefully it is something more agreeable than this.  

No comments: